9.18.2008

16,255 steps

Today, we decided to go to St. George. So we did! I've always loved St. George. So we took a FREE ferry ride to St. George, New York, which is a teeny little town on Staten Island. (Hey, who says you can't get anything for free anymore?) Here we are in NYC, with its high prices, and they give you a free ride right by the Statue of Liberty!

Here's what we did on Wednesday:

walked 16,255 steps - oh, my aching feet!

went to the delightful Chelsea Markets. I wanted my grandchildren there to see the cupcakes! Oh, they are so clever.... The frosting is about 6 inches high and decorated as all kinds of animals.

Walked along Hudson Pier

Went to Times Square and looked for a t-shirt that says: i love NY - didn't get, YET.

Rode the subway to get acclimated. (Allen's got it down now.)

Walked some more.

Walked through Greenwich Village.

Walked some more.

Bought some allergy medicine for Allen.

Rode the free ferry to Staten Island and passed the Statue of Liberty which reminded me what a great country we live in.

Walked a little more!

NEWS FROM THE CITY: Did you see in the news that some plate glass fell from a high-rise construction area causing glass to rain down? Watch out for those high-rise buildings, or in other words, don't go walking in NYC!

NEWS FROM JORDAN: Jordan google mapped our apartment and saw exactly where we are. If you want to get a view of our building - we are on the 15th floor, the address is 405 W 23rd street, NY, NY. (It's in an area called Chelsea which is in the burrough of Manhattan.)

COST OF LIVING IN NEW YORK: we called a number that advertised apts for rent: studio apartment (probably about 600 sq feet) 3200 a month. One bedroom apt 4500 a month. So, we decided NOT to move here permanently.

SIGN IN THE CITY: right by our building, on the corner is a sign that says:

NO HONKING ALLOWED - $350.00 fine for violators.

We are having fun. Wish we could all share in the fun, but we will share it with Kristi on Saturday and Sunday. Love from NYC!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom, I was looking at your profile and it says you were a librarian. Strange but when I tell people what my parents did, I always say they are both teachers. I always remember you as a teacher.

AmyF Hackworth said...

Fun, fun, fun! I'm so excited about your trip, so happy you're doing this, so jealous that you get to spend a whole month there. I wish our trips could overlap. I'm eager to read all about your adventures in NYC!

Grandkids...How I LOVE Them!

 Lola Halsey - one year old birthday!