6.08.2009

War in Afghanistan

Did you know?
There are 2 wars in Afghanistan?

OEF: Operation Enduring Freedom which has 28,300 American soldiers; soon to be 28,301 when Jeremy arrives in less than one month.

ISAF: International Security Assistance Force which has 23,000 American soldiers and a total of 55,100 troops from 41 countries.
Did you know?
The main reason for fighting this war is to capture Osama Bin Laden?
Did you know?
The US is building a permanent base (possibly 2) in Afghanistan? Besides Osama Bin Laden, concerns are the Taliban and the growing drug traffic.
Did you know?
Aside from the fact that I have a son headed to Afghanistan, I do not understand why we are fighting this war. Lives lost or ruined, so much money spent that we cannot comprehend; I don't really understand it.

Perhaps I don't see the full picture, but I think we are past the point where America can afford to police the world.
But, having said that, I support and give honor and respect to those incredible young men and women who risk their lives to fight this seemingly unwinnable war.


4 comments:

Pagerstalker said...

Well said mother dearest. I agree.

Ms. Fish said...

I also agree, and am sick that Jeremy has to go.

Ms. Fish said...

Actually I'm sick that anyone has to go!

Martha said...

My Jordan will be deployed (probably there) next year as well. I was still hoping for a nice safe Navy hospital ship :(
I'll have to have a discussion with my Major Johnson (Jen's husband) about our rational & objectives in Afganistan. I think it's time for some self-interest where our international politics and interests are concerned ..."they're" all going to hate us whatever we do!

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!