9.04.2011

Looking in the Mirror


"I just don't like my daughter-in-law," the neighbor said recently.

"It seems that everything she does annoys me," she continued.

She mentioned some specifics that irritated her about her daughter-in-law of many years. They were things about her house-keeping, child-raising, wasteful spending, careless regard for property, and a few others.

After her lengthy diatribe, she paused for a moment and then she said,

"Truthfully, I think the whole problem is that she reminds me of ME as a younger wife and I don't like what I was!"

Had the neighbor hit on something in her moment of reflection?

Do WE ALL not like someone because they are - in some ways - a mirror image of ourselves?

Because, the truth is, sometimes it IS difficult to see ourselves in a mirror.

1 comment:

Lauralee said...

I've thought hard about this post. I am the polar opposite of my daughter-in-law, either now or in the past. My son loves her, she gave me my grandchildren and so I love her too. Not always easy. It is frustrating, but certainly manageable.

Birthday Week with the GIRLS! IN Other Words; FUN TIMES in Santa Fe, New Mexico!

  Not in the right order, but whatever the order, it was SO FUN!  Just a great time.