3.02.2017

Giving Up Something for LENT

When I was in junior high, I had a teacher for two years who was a very strict Catholic.

(Well, she was a strict everything!)

She LOVED popcorn.  Sometimes, she would open the door into her small closet while we were working at our desks and she would pop some popcorn into her mouth.   (I sat at the back of the room where I could see exactly what she was doing!)  I thought that was pretty cool, actually, and wished I could sneak in there with her also.

Every year, Miss Zeibarth gave up popcorn for Lent.  I didn't really understand that religious tradition, but learned about it from her.

Since that time, just to test myself, I have given up items that I enjoy for Lent.  Even though our religion has a monthly Fast day, I have tried sometimes in years past to give up something for 40 days.  (The thing I really SHOULD give up is CHOCOLATE, alas, that is not to to be this year, at least.)

But, this year, I am going back to my days with Miss Zeibarth, and giving up POPCORN for 40 days.

I love popcorn.

I have found a healthy brand of popcorn and eat it quite a lot.

Best popcorn ever.....I buy it in big bags from Costco.  Yum Yum!


Sometimes, I have popcorn for breakfast.  I snack on it for a healthy snack.  I eat it for dessert.  I love this brand of popcorn.

In fact, just writing this makes me crave popcorn.

But, I can do this for 40 days.

Here goes...no popcorn until Easter Sunday.  And, then, I'll do just like Miss Zeibarth did on the Monday following Easter.

She brought a GINORMOUS bag of popcorn - I'd never seen any bag of popcorn so big.  She put it in her closet, and during class, she would go back and enjoy it.

That will be me on Easter Sunday.

Let the LENT fasting begin!




1 comment:

Laurence Gee said...

Have you tried the Zebra from the same company. We get it at Costco.

The Quitter Finishes

 I quit things so easily; if it gets tough, I quit! But today, I finished a goal I told Allen about.  I told him I was going to go 45 minute...