10.16.2011

Tender Mercies


Sunday was a memorable and unforgettable day. Here's how it played out:

About every three days, I buy a local newspaper from the Hilton Head, South Carolina area where we are staying. So, when I picked up the paper, and went to discard the sports page, which I always do, I saw the large football picture talking about Ridgeland High School. That name hit me like a bolt. THAT WAS THE NAME OF THE TOWN WHERE MY PARENTS SERVED A MISSION and my brother and I had not been able to recall the name of the city! Since it was in the local newspaper, that meant the town was nearby. Did it possibly have a ward in the city?

(I love LDS.org, which has helped us on so many trips find a ward house.)

I looked at LDS.org, and yes, there was a ward in Ridgland, which was just about a half hour from where we were staying!

Upon arriving in the chapel, Allen spoke to one man telling him why we were visiting, and he said, “You need to talk to my mother.” So, we walked over to a beautiful lady in bright green and told her who my parents were. She threw her arms around me, and told me how much she loved my parents.
(We have arranged to meet on Tuesday, and she will show us where my parents lived, while they served their mission in Ridgeland, South Carolina).
This was such an amazing thrill for me, as she told me of her love for my dear wonderful parents.

She knew of dad's horrible headaches, but said he served so faithfully. He taught gospel classes in his home, and she would never miss his weekly lessons, they were so wonderful and inspiring.

After Relief Society, a woman came up to me and told me how much she loved my parents.
She shared with me a couple of stories about my parents. She told me that she was a collector of Precious Moments, and had been looking for a certain statue, but had been unable to find it even after considerable searching. It was also an expensive one costing about $34.00 in the 1980s. My mother found one and gave it to Sister Roach. She said that was such a thoughtful thing for mom to do, as that represented a lot of money at that time.

She then went on to tell about my father. She told me about a terrible murder that happened involving some members in the ward. The murdered man was well-known in the community, and his funeral was very large. The audience included many non LDS members. Dad was one of the main speakers. She told me that she could not remember what he said, (remember, this was about 30 years ago), but she did remember the feeling of that talk. She rubbed her arms and said, “The talk was so inspirational, it gave all of us goosebumps. I still remember the feelings. Even the nonmembers were so inspired by what he had to say that day.”


I will be forever grateful for the circumstances that brought us to that ward in Ridgeland, South Carolina and for the blessing of meeting people who knew and loved my dear dear parents.

Their exemplary lives continue to bless and inspire me. Thank you, dear Heavenly Father, for the great blessing to be in their family.


1 comment:

Mrs. Olsen said...

Wow. That is so cool! No doubt your parents were nudging you in the right direction from the other side.

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!