8.14.2009

Close to Home


The year: 1965

The trip:The New York World's Fair and points in between:

The conversation: on the subway headed out to Queens to the fair:

The conversants: Loni Gee Hackworth and a native New Yorker:

Loni:"Hi, I'm from the West and we're just going to the World's Fair...I'm so excited...what exhibits should be visit?"

Native New Yorker (in awesome Bronx accent:) "I haven't been to the fair...I'm not going to the fair...I've never been further than a couple of miles from my home and that's the way it's gonna stay!"

The Message (to me):"WOW, I'm never going to be like that! When I live close to something, I'll be sure to visit it and make it a part of my life!"




Fast forward lots and lots and lots of years:

The year: 2009

The trip: Zion National Park

The conversations: Loni Gee Hackworth and people from: Texas, Poland, Germany, Spain, Thailand.

Overheard: languages from all across the world!

The message: "I forgot the resolve above. Here were people from literally all over the globe enjoying the incredible beauty of what lies in my back yard."

And, I almost - almost - forgot how glorious Zion National Park is.

I hereby resolve to explore more of the Park's amazing beauty!

2 comments:

Mrs. Olsen said...

You're cute. Not to mention stay-cations are the latest in the energy and financial conservation movement. Zions really is gorgeous. I have many fond memories there with Kristi. Have a great Saturday!

Ms. Fish said...

What a great photo! I did not even recognize you.

It is one thing to not see the world because you don't make the time or means. But quite another to not see the world because of a deliberate decision. Wow. I'm with you. Not my cup of tea. On the other hand, the ability to be content with status quo is actually quite a nice virtue, don't you think?

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!