8.23.2009

The White Handerkerchief

It was trimmed with home-made tatting.

It originally came from the dresser drawer in my mother's bedroom where she kept all her hankies. Now, I keep it in my dresser with all her hankies, except for the ones I gave to each of her eight granddaughters.

Taking it out this morning, I thought of her...her love of beautiful things. How she liked things to be clean and ironed and in order. So, it was fitting that I should take it to the Oquirrh Moutain Temple Dedication ceremony for the Hosanna Shout.

During the closing hymn, after a beautiful ceremony in which we were reminded of the significance and beauty of temples, we sang, "The Spirit of God," which was sung at the very first temple dedication in Kirtland, Ohio.


While singing the hymn, I thought of my dad. I could almost hear his booming bass voice singing that hymn with great gusto and meaning and spirit.


So, on this special day, I thank you both, dear mother and father, for your influence in my life; for your love of the Gospel, your quiet, yet faithful devotion to what you knew was true.


You were there with me in spirit today as we rejoiced at the 13th temple in Utah.





The Oquirrh Mountain Temple, Angel Moroni statue was struck by lightening, so it was replaced before the temple dedication. Photo: Steve Allison

1 comment:

Nat said...

I read about the Oquirrh temple dedication this morning in the church news. What a beautiful handkerchief to have for such a neat occasion. I love to see anything that has been tatted. I learned how to tat with Bill's sister Christine, but I havn't tatted anything in years.

Birthday Week with the GIRLS! IN Other Words; FUN TIMES in Santa Fe, New Mexico!

  Not in the right order, but whatever the order, it was SO FUN!  Just a great time.