2.21.2012

The Topic was DEATH...

...or more specifically....getting your life in order so your death is easier on your loved ones.



It's not the most pleasant of topics.

But she presented it a fun, helpful, informative way that made it easy to listen to.

She made THREE points in regards to preparing for death.

1.  CLEAN IT OUT!
"Your kids don't want your STUFF," she said.

I thought about it.  After the death of my parents, we all got together to divide up the STUFF.  There were some treasures and valuables that were priceless, which we wanted.  But, there were boxes and boxes of STUFF that - sadly - held no meaning to us and we did get rid of it.  In fact, towards the end, we had no time to actually look at the STUFF, we just had to discard it...who knows what treasures we may have thrown away.

Since my parent's deaths, I have tried very hard to get rid of things.  But, it is VERY HARD!  We get so attached to THINGS.  WHY do we accumulate so much STUFF?


It was a very good point and is motivating me to continue my quest to rid myself of items that are no longer useful or used.

2.  FILL IT OUT!
"You can help your family members so much by letting them know where keys, passwords, bank accounts, savings, wills, insurance, property deeds, etc. are."


Then she gave each of the participants a very thorough booklet where we can list important items, etc.  It is thorough and will take some time. (I have started filling it out.)

But, what a help to family members!

Again, at the death of my parents, we had little clue as to how many bank accounts, CDs, savings accounts, etc. that my parents had.  Six years later, we still have a safe deposit box that is not opened.  There is likely nothing in it, but having all the information in on place would be so helpful.

3.  TALK IT OUT?
"No one wants to talk about their dying wishes, health issues, or their own funeral.  But, why not tell your loved ones just exactly what your wishes are in regards to life support and your funeral?"

I once asked my father what he wanted for his funeral and he told me he had never really thought about it.  He died at 90, and I had asked him that question in his late 80's.  I'm sure he would have loved the program that we had.  My brothers are phenomenal speakers, so they were marvelous.  So, for him, I think it all worked out.

But, my father-in-law had very specific wishes for his funeral and for his wife's.  He was very particular and he let us all know it.   His funeral was exactly what he requested......so, isn't that great?

I know I have strong feelings about end-of-lfe issues and my own memorial service, so I will let my family know.

Her presentation was inspiring, motivating, and very helpful.

Thanks, RSH, for making a difficult topic palatable and entertaining with your humor, your fun, and your beneficial insight.

3 comments:

Lauralee said...

Loni, will you send me a copy of the materials you got? They would be a helpful guide to sorting all my life out. Thanks, L.

Lauralee said...

P.S. I LOVED my birthday card. Thanks for your thoughtfulness, but then you have always been that way!

Ms. Fish said...

mom, you are so wonderful!!

Birthday Week with the GIRLS! IN Other Words; FUN TIMES in Santa Fe, New Mexico!

  Not in the right order, but whatever the order, it was SO FUN!  Just a great time.