3.10.2012

My Letter to the Devil

Dear Satan,

You might be feeling pretty smug right now....

1 in 4 high school seniors smoke on a regular basis,
66% of high school students have had sexual intercourse, 
more and more couples live together outside of marriage,
television, movies, and radio shows continue to lower decency standards,
incivility is at an all-time high,

So, it would appear you might be winning the war; and war it is.

Today, I went to the temple, and
I realized that there are still some places and people that you 
CANNOT TOUCH!

I was by an elderly lady; her white dress was yellowed with age, the long sleeves were fraying.  She has spent a lot of years living a life of service.  I do not know her, but her goodness and love shown on her countenance.  And, there were many more just like she is.

I spent some time this week with Allen's aunt; she is a saint.  She is 80 years old, so innocent in many ways, so pure and good; her entire life is one of service and goodness.  She is just about the happiest person I have ever known.  Her life is totally devoted to her family and her God.  Oh, she is so pleasant to be around.  You do not have hold on her joyful heart.

Allen's sister was here for a couple of days.  She is so good and so perfect; the gospel is her whole life.  She is happy, fulfilled, and now, newly in love.  She has found a man her equal who also loves God and the Gospel.  They are so devoted to each other.  She is really nearly perfect.  You do not have even a speck of space in her heart.

You have no influence on those people.  

You lost that war long ago with people like the old lady in the temple, Eunice, Donna, and so many more just like them, including the young people in my neighborhood.

Oh, you are winning some of the people out in the big wide world, but as for me, I find great joy being with people whose lives you have no influence over.

Sometimes you get me...I feel filled with guilt, grief, sorrow, sadness, despair.

And, then I realize that is just what you want me to feel.  I am giving in to the feelings you want to use to destroy my equilibrium.

So, I'm writing to let you know that you don't have everyone, and as for me, I'll keep fighting to keep you away from me too.

LGH





No comments:

Birthday Week with the GIRLS! IN Other Words; FUN TIMES in Santa Fe, New Mexico!

  Not in the right order, but whatever the order, it was SO FUN!  Just a great time.