11.04.2009

Gene Pool

He is relatively young; late 40's, early 50's.

He maintains a very healthy life style; no sugar, no red meat, very little meat, fresh fruits and vegetable, exercise.

Yet, in spite of it all, he has serious heart problems.

It's in the genes, they say.

For many years, I have complained, mostly to myself, about my genes that left me with:
my lily-white, albinoish skin (we're talking people leave the pool when they see me coming.."it's a ghost!" )
the bumps on my arms (which I recently learned actually have a name : bumps-on-the-armsitis or something like that)
my ultra fine, exceedingly straight, mousey brown hair on a head so tender-headed, I scream when I comb it each morning
my low, low blood presssure that makes me tired and need a nap by just raising the remote to change the channel.
the tendency in our family to be way, way B*I*G

But, in the grand scheme of things, those aren't really all that serious. (I don't mean to imply that I won't in the future get something serious or that my family hasn't had illness; my mother had breast cancer, my father had a debilitating case of shingles, etc.)

What I am saying is this - thank you Gees, Merrills, Stephensons, Kerrs for the relatively healthy genes.

NOTE: let's be totally honest here. This post does NOT mean that I will, in any way, stop complaining about issues with my genetic inheritance.

In fact, excuse me while I lie down. I'm exhausted from all this typing!

2 comments:

Lauralee said...

I'm senting you an e-mail with comments on this post.

Lauralee said...

Are you aware of the SHINGLES immunization that is currently available? My retired AF brother Bob and my Navy son Bob got both got it, although it is mostly recommended for our over 60 crowd. I am tending toward it for sure.

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!