12.22.2011

From My Inbox...

Hello, dear Lingling! It has been one year that you had return to US. We all miss you and Christmas is coming noon, I think you have planned a funny holiday! Merry Christmas!
I feel very sad resently becauce I failed my IELTS test again and again, I feel disappointed and lose heart. In this New Year, I have to prepare the test the third time, I don't know whether I can pass, but I really want to make my parents happy. Last mounth, I spent all the mounth to prepare the test, I was confident but I still failed. I want to get 6 marks, but I always get 5 marks, I don't know how I should do. I want to listen to you.
yours,
Iris
 
This letter made my heart ache.
 
Oh, how our dear students want to pass this challenging test which means they can apply to come to America.
 
But, do you see WHY she wants it so badly......
I really want to make my parents happy.
 
So many of our students wanted things in life...not for THEM, but for their parents. 
 
What a contrast between those students and many American students whose main concern is THEMSELVES!
 
I want to scoop Iris up, hug her, and tell her what an incredible person she is.  Her worth does NOT depend on her passing a test! 
 
She is such an amazing person.  She gave an oral presentation once about her mother having a second child.  I was amazed, stunned, inspired, and awed by her mother's bravery in the face of government disapproval for having a second child.  I was amazed and inspired by Iris' concern for her little sister, as Iris realized that she must be in charge and help her little sister learn and grow.
 
Oh, dear Iris, if I could, I would so want to help you pass your test. 
 
But, please know this, even if you don't pass; even if you never have that opportunity to come to America - you are an incredible person.  You have worth and value far beyond a score on a test.  And no score can take that away from you.
 

1 comment:

Julia said...

I simply love the way you think Loni. I always have. You have a great gift of believing in others & a classy way to express it. You forever left an imprint on my heart years ago. You were one I thought of when my mission president asked us to make goals that God could return to us in promises. I wanted to have a reflection of the kind of gift you have socially in making people feel oh, SO loved.

Birthday Week with the GIRLS! IN Other Words; FUN TIMES in Santa Fe, New Mexico!

  Not in the right order, but whatever the order, it was SO FUN!  Just a great time.