12.12.2011

The Sing Along

Her name was Aleene.  Oh, she was a fun one!

She told me how she had insisted that all seven of her children (6 boys, 1 girl) learn to play the organ and piano.

Every Christmas in her home in the midwest, she hosted all the neighbors for a singalong.  They would sing for one hour, then she sent them out the door with a popcorn ball.

I loved the idea.  So, I told Jenni about it.  She has been doing it for five years or so.

We have only done it twice.

It's great fun - even for the heistant neighbors; they had a great time.  Why, Bobbie Jo and Terry even got up and danced in the interlude of one fun song!

I don't make popcorn balls, I ask everyone to bring a goodie to share, and then they can take a plate of goodies home with them.

Jenni compiled the songs on a CD and she typed all the words so every person could have a copy. I borrowed those from her. 

So, we sang; some better than others. This year's songs were great; a nice variety of funky, fun, religious, old, new...thanks, Jenni for the great CD.  Everyone LOVED the music!

So, here's how it played out this year:






Thanks, Aleene Dickerson, for that great idea you gave me those many many years ago.  I think of you every Christmas. 

And, it's always a great memory!

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Sounds like a great party

Justin Hackworth said...

So you guys are the FUN neighbors.

jeremy said...

What a fantastic idea - and looked like a fantastic evening!

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!