12.10.2011

Remembering A Christmas Past

There were three little children in our family at the time.

We had hired a babysitter, something we could rarely afford to do.

We drove 30 miles to the big city - Idaho Falls - to go Christmas shopping, something we could rarely afford to do.

And, we ate out - just the two of us, something we rarely did.

I don't remember what the boys wanted, but Jenni wanted a Mrs. Beasley talking doll from a television show called Family Affair. 

We found the doll, and along with our other purchases, left them in the trunk of the car, so little prying eyes wouldn't see the surprises awaiting them before Christmas morning.

Christmas Eve - I was as excited as those three adorable little children.

After they had finally been tucked in bed, we went out to the car - no garage in those early days of living in frozen wonderland - and hauled the packages in.

We placed the Mrs. Beasley doll front and center under the tree.  Just for fun, I pulled the little string to hear Mrs. Beasley talk. 

To my horror, Mrs. Beasley sounded like a 99-year-old-bass singer in an old folks choir.  The voice eminating from the adorable doll was anything BUT adorable.  It was s-l-o-w and extremely l-o-w!  Because you see, it was frozen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was sick, I was in a panic, I was sad for my dear little daughter. 

Mrs. Beasley with a man's voice - how could that be?

RAH thought her voice would warm up in time for the early morning festivities, but I wasn't so sure.

Christmas morning arrived and those three little tykes were up early, eager to run to the living room and see what "Santa brought."  "Well," I thought to myself, "he brought a MRS. Beasley doll that sounds like a MR. GRINCH!"

As it turns out, RAH was absolutely right.  Mrs. Beasley was now sounding just like she should....Jenni was ecstatic.  It was a picture-perfect Christmas morning.

Santa had indeed, pulled through once again!

1 comment:

Ms. Fish said...

Oh what a fun story. I loved hearing the "behind the scenes" action that I never knew. I remember getting that doll! You are right. This and many, many other moments in our childhood were picture perfect. Love you.

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!