5.31.2010

The Salad and the Lesson


"Oscar, would you like to help me make potato salad?" I asked.

He looked at me quizzically, then responded,"Grandma, why do you always make potato salad when we come?"

I laughed..."Because whenever you come, we invite your cousins to come over and have a hamburger cookout. And, potato salad just goes with hamburgers, so that's why I make it when you come."

To myself, I realized I was totally dreading it. I'm not that great of a cook, and it's always an iffy thing to make the potato salad taste just right. It's very labour intensive so I don't like to spend all that much time on the project, especially if it doesn't turn out tasty wasty. Plus, I knew we were having a huge crowd, so I would be making twice as much....I dreaded the project.

While all the boys/men left the house to go fishing, I grudgingly began to make the salad; boil the eggs, steam the potatoes, chop the onion, celery, pickles, etc. However, just as I started the lengthy process, I thought of Dr. Gregerson....honestly, I don't know why he popped into my head. Except that he did.

I had just recently met him. He lost a leg to diabetes. He told me about his struggles to learn to walk with his prosthesis, but had been unsuccesful so far, so he used a wheelchair. Oh, he hated it!

So, as I began to peel the potatoes, I thought of him. It was an epiphany moment. Suddenly, I was so GLAD to be able to stand at my kitchen counter and cut, chop, slice, dice. I was THRILLED to be able to walk around and grab the mayo, mustard, spices. I was DELIGHTED to be able to serve my family this food of my own making.
Mostly, I was OVERJOYED/OVERWHELMED at mobility!

And, I was, once again, humbled! Thank you, Heavenly Father, that I can make potato salad. What a great blessing.

So, Oscar, when you come again...look forward to more salad, and know that I LOVE making it for you and Bridger and Sayre and Stockton and Landon and Janessa, and anyone else we happen to invite for dinner.

3 comments:

Nat said...

I could eat potato salad for breakfast, lunch and dinner....and that potato salad looks heavenly.

Lauralee said...

I finally know when I am coming to St. George - Thursday, June 3rd. By the time I get there you will be sleeping among the glaciers in Alaska! See ya when we are both back home. Have a super fun trip. xo

Ms. Fish said...

The salad was absolutely delicious. There wasn't a soul who didn't love it. We all thank you for the many, many hours you put into peeling, chopping, mixing.

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!