6.03.2010

Wasilla - It's Not Just the Home of Sarah Palin

It's a beautiful small town; it totally reminded me of Island Park, or West Yellowstone...

But, unlike those towns in the lower 48, Wasilla has several claims to fame:

Wasilla, Alaska is the official home of the Iditarod. Not that the race is held there, but all the official paperwork, a museum, movie, and a place to ride on a sleigh with the famous dogs is located in Wasilla.

It's also the Duct tape capital of the world...here's a girl we met who showed us this picture taken on her wedding day. Her dress is made from blue plastic and her niece's dress is plastic with a nice duct tape accent; the groom was also dressed quite similarly.

And, how does a city get to be the duct tape capital...you use more duct tape than any other city!

But, of course, right now, perhaps Wasilla is most known for its famous resident: Sarah Palin.

So, naturally we wanted to know where she lived; here is a picture of her home with her new, famous 16 foot wall to keep out peeping reporters. She lives in a very secluded location with a view of the lake out her front door. We are as close as people are allowed to get, so here's the home of the almost-vice-president of the united states of america....which I love (America...not necesssarily this home!)

America, I love your diversity, your landscapes, your peoples, your opportunities. And, I am grateful to visit places that I have only heard of, but never dreamed I would actually get to see.

1 comment:

Mrs. Olsen said...

I had some cousins that moved to Wasilla (from Idaho) for a construction boom in the 80's. I missed them cause they were so far away. As far as I'm concerned, THEY put Wasilla on the map.

Sounds like you are having fun!

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!