5.13.2012

A Lasting Legacy



It was early Saturday morning.  I was in the LDS temple.

One of the officiators used my name...HACKWORTH.

A man standing in the room said, "Would you be any relation to Dorothy South Hackworth?'

I smiled and proudly said, "She is my mother-in-law."

"Didn't she write a book about Touch of the Master's Hand or something?"

"The Master's Touch," I said.

"Yes, I remember it.  The cover was so memorable.  My mother had the book in our home while I was growing up.  My mother loved the book and it meant a great deal to her.  But, when she died, my sister got all my mother's books...I was disappointed.  But, I recently found a copy at the DI."

Later in the hour when we had another chance to speak, he asked... "Tell me a little about Dorothy Hackworth, so when I read the book, I will think of something personal about her."

"Well," I said, "she was a saint.  She was a marvelous person.  Just so good and kind.  She was wonderful.  Also, I believe that her book was one of the first books Bookcraft published that was not by an established author or by a general authority."

Then I told how she came to write the book.  She was just making a collection of faith-promoting stories for her husband for his birthday. Others wanted copies, so it just mushroomed from there.

He told me a little about himself - a pediatrician - father of many.  And, he was gone.

But, he had stirred in me the remembrance of my dear mother-in-law.

So, on this MOTHER'S DAY, I pay tribute to my 2nd wonderful mother - also a Dorothy - who died in 2000.

Dorothy, fifty years after its first publication date, you have left a lasting legacy; not just for your family, but strangers far away.

And, that is very remarkable.

5 comments:

Ms. Fish said...

Beautiful tribute to a beautiful person. What a treat for you to have that encounter in the temple.

KRose said...

Thanks for sharing mom- she was pretty darn awesome. I just remember how she was always, always smiling - always happy. What an example!

Anonymous said...

Dorothy South Hackworth was a very thoughtful and kind Elect Lady.
She and Uncle Hubert were very special to me. I enjoyed visiting their home and hearing many stories. We also have one of her books. It is a treasure. My mother was Iva Hackworth Ferney, Hubert's sister. Aunt Dorothy died in 2000 and Uncle Hubert died in 2011.It is hard to think of Hubert being gone now. I know they had a great love for one another. Wish I could become better aquainted with all of Dorothy's and Hubert's children and grandchildren.

Love to you all,
Marian Ferney Pedersen

Anonymous said...

I miss them both so much. Can't wait to see them again! Thank You Aunt Loni for sharing this on your blog.

Love, Cindy Angell

jeremy said...

Funny thing mom, just a few days before reading this I was showing that book to Carisa. It's certainly something that makes you go 'hmmmm'. I mean....how coincidental that about 2 days before you posted this, I was showing THAT book, at of all the books on our shelf, to Carisa.

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!