5.15.2012

The Weekly Visit

It was our normal weekly visit.

S has lots of fun stories about people, her family, life.

It's easy to be around her and hear her stories.  And, believe me, she has many of them.

That week the story was about Joan.

S and Joan had worked together for a few years.  Joan was much older than S and was about to retire after working for many years.

One Monday morning, Joan came to work feeling downhearted and just in a sad mood.

S wondered what was wrong.

Joan explained, "When you are old, in the church, no one notices you or cares.  It's all about the youth.  And young mothers are absorbed in their busy lives, which I was also with my seven children.  I feel like a non-entity when I go to church.  It's so discouraging.  After many years of contributing, I have no place.  I'm not needed!"

S told me how she reassured Joan, how she told Joan it wasn't true, that she had lots to give, that Joan was very significant to her ward.

And, now, years later, S was echoing to me the sentiments of her long-ago friend, Joan.

"I have no place; I'm not needed." she said sadly.  "And now, I totally understand what Joan was saying those twenty years ago. "

Life - it's a cycle.

And, it's a good reminder to just enjoy every day no matter what age or circumstances.

Just be grateful for whatever is out there for us.




No comments:

Grandkids...How I LOVE Them!

 Lola Halsey - one year old birthday!