10.22.2012

The Good, The Sad, and the Ugly....

THE GOOD......

"Hello," I said to the lady on the phone.

"I'm calling to tell you about a job opportunity that was just posted that might fit what you are looking for."

We visited for awhile and then she said, "I'm not Mormon.  We moved here from the South, but I love how your church is interested and cares that anyone - from any religion - gets a job."

She mentioned other things she liked about the Mormons, and then she said, "My husband and I love the values you teach your young people."

Fun conversation and I just hope she gets the job.  It was a bright spot in a challenging day.

THE SAD....

Overheard in the office today....the bishop asking a young, homeless man, "Have you had anything to eat today?"

"My wife wants a divorce," the man wrote to RAH....."she is disappointed in me and my ability to provide for us. "

"I was let go two weeks ago.  The company kept the man I trained because he would work for less.  It's all pretty discouraging."

"I still haven't been able to find a job," said the 82 year old man.

I hate conversations like these.

THE UGLY...

He lives at the homeless shelter, where you can live for 90 days.  He seems like a very nice person.  He is hard-working and has worked hard all his life (he told me he was about 60).  He has been a truck driver and a cook.

But, his front teeth are missing and he has two long fang-looking teeth protruding at the corners of his mouth.  He has some interviews coming up, but when they see him, his smile is going to put future employers off a little.  

Mondays....always something new and interesting at the LDS Employment Center.





No comments:

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!