5.27.2013

Blonde Pony-Tail Girl

Normal gym routine;

10 minutes of bike or elliptic, then 20 min on weight machines, 10 minutes of treadmill (Or some variations of this)

Today:

I did a couple of exercises for the legs, then stepped on the treadmill to do a 10-15 stint before heading to the weight section.

BUT,

in front of me on the elliptic machine was an energetic blonde with a pony tail.  Oh my goodness, she was going fast and furious.  I was entranced watching that pony tail swing back and forth.

And, it was watching that pony tail that made me do something very stupid.  I said to myself, "I'll stay on this treadmill for as long as she is on the elliptical.  Because at her pace, surely she can't go for very long!"



But, when she had gone for 25 minutes, I made a discovery - she was reading her Kindle and hardly seemed to notice that she was working so hard.  I was sweating - something I try to avoid at all costs. At 30 minutes, my heart pumping, I turned the speed down a notch on the treadmill.

By 35 minutes, I didn't even like her; I was angry at her.  What in the heck did she think she was doing?  It did occur to me that the challenge to myself was just a foolish statement on my part, and there was nothing to keep ME from quitting....but I had made a private agreement....I could not back down.

So, I walked some more....the backs of my knees ached, I could feel a blister coming on my left foot, my hip or sciatica or something began to bother....I slowed the machine even more.

At 43 minutes, she FINALLY stepped off the machine.  Now, I could see the front of her face...oh, she looked innocent and nice enough.

To round out the number, I went to 45 minutes, then gingerly stepped off the machine.  I wobbled over to the drinking fountain.

I did a few weights for the arms, then left.

And, then I realized - hey, that was all good.

Glad you motivated me, girl with the blonde pony-tail.



1 comment:

Ms. Fish said...

This made me chuckle. You are tough!!

Birthday Week with the GIRLS! IN Other Words; FUN TIMES in Santa Fe, New Mexico!

  Not in the right order, but whatever the order, it was SO FUN!  Just a great time.