7.27.2010

Let's Talk Books

Okay, I admit it...I'm a
B*O*O*K*A*H*O*L*I*C
I love books!
I like to listen to them, read them in book form, or read them on the Kindle.

But, whatever form they are in, I love the power of words.

I remember one day, lots of years ago, I was pedaling the stationery bike while reading Maya Angelou's "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings." I was so moved and went in to RAH in the other room, and said, "I can't quite believe the power of her words."

I so appreciate a good author, good story line, good writing, good characters...

Some books are poorly written, but tell a great story; other books have both a great story and are incredibly well written, like Jane Eyre or many Charles Dickens books.

While I appreciate and have read lots of fiction books over the years, I really enjoy non-fiction, particularly true stories about PEOPLE.

Here's a partial list of non-fiction books that I have really enjoyed over many years....(these are in no particular order, just as they came to mind)....

Ditch Digger's Daughters: A Black Family's Astonishing Success Story

The Investigation: the truth Behind Howard Hughes, Melvin Dummar, and the Most Contested Will in America

Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust

Having Our Say: the Delany Sisters First 100 Years

Mao's Last Dancer

Open

The Outliers: The Story of Success

Hard Work: My Life on and Off the Court

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid

Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio: How My Mother Raised Ten Kids on 25 Words or Less

A Girl Named Zippy

Betrayal: The Life and Times of Bernard Madoff

Have a Little Faith: A True Story

Love, Loss, and What I Wore

Coal Miner's Daughter

Exit the Rainmaker

Growing Up

John Glen - A Memoir

The Courage to be Rich

Millionaire Next Door

A Walk in the Woods

A Year in Provence

Peacegiver

Tennis Partner

The Glass Castle: A Memoir

High Crimes

Some of these books have made me laugh, cry, shake my head in wonder/disbelief, restore my faith in humanity, lose my faith in humanity, but most of all be amazed at what good writers can achieve in telling a compelling story.

So, let me just say once again, I am thankful for BOOKS, LIBRARIES, the PRINTED WORD, and the power those words can evoke in me.

1 comment:

Mrs. Olsen said...

I'm so glad to have this list! I'll try to knock some of them through my brain.

The Quitter Finishes

 I quit things so easily; if it gets tough, I quit! But today, I finished a goal I told Allen about.  I told him I was going to go 45 minute...