11.03.2013

A Letter to My Mother

Dearest Mother,

I miss you more than words can say.

But, I have pictures of you around.  And, I have several pictures you painted that are a reminder of your many talents.

I also have some of your lovely things to remind me of your class, your good taste, your sense of beauty.

I remember so well how important to you the items were that you purchased in Europe.  You used to tell me at what sacrifice you bought them and how valuable they are/were.

So, I'm glad you are not here now to see that the items you felt were so very valuable can be purchased so easily and so cheaply on EBay....an auction site on the Internet.

You, dear mother, would be heartbroken to realize that these items are sold casually, with no sense of the value or back story behind each piece.

They are not purchased with cigarettes after a terrible war.  They are not purchased from sellers desperate for cash in a war-torn country.

In fact, it's highly likely they are not purchased at all.  RAH and I once went to an antique shop to have him check the value of your treasures....there was not much of any value at all.  People weren't buying these European items much any more, he told us.

It made me so very sad.

Because they were treasures for YOU...they were always so cared for in your lovely home.  They were dusted with care, put up on high shelves to keep away from grandchildren.  They brought you joy and fond memories of a unique time in your young married life.

So, today, out of curiosity, as I looked up the value of a lovely hand-painted "Schumann Bavaria" ash tray, I was glad you didn't know how little value it truly has.  A very similar item was selling for $5.99 to $7.99!



I'm glad you felt its value was great and that it brought you great joy.

Because that is all that really matters.


1 comment:

Ms. Fish said...

Value is truly in the eye of the beholder.

I love how loyal you are to your mother!! What a beautiful tribute.

Grandkids...How I LOVE Them!

 Lola Halsey - one year old birthday!