1.09.2009

Happy Birthday, Justin Scott




Here's the email I sent to our family about Justin's birthday: Also, here's a couple of pictures that we just scanned in from slides using our new slide scanner which is totally awesome, and I couldn't have figured it out without Allen's help...whoa, it's good to be married to a computer persona!

Dear Oldest Son, Justin,

a few years ago, when we took you home from the hospital in Pocatello, Idaho, it was a bright, sunny day. It was cold, but the sun was bright. That was portentous because you have always been a bright sunny child. Right early on, you have had the ability to make us laugh.

Randi Sue was so excited to meet you...I don't think she was ever jealous like some older siblings are. Although I do remember her pushing you a couple of times, so maybe she was jealous after all.

Driving home in the red Toyota, I just kept staring at you and thinking how fun it was to have a girl and a boy.

We were going to name you Michael Scott, but our friend, Brent McDonald said, "Do you like the name, Mike?" "No," I answered, "just Michael." "He'll always be called Mike," Brent responded. So, we named you JUSTIN SCOTT, which I have always loved and think it's such a great name for a photographer, don't you?

You didn't have a lot of hair and you lost it as most babies do. When we moved to Pocatello in our trailer home, we lived next door to the Edwards. Every day, after breakfast, you and Jenni wanted to play with Brad & Terri. You got along really well and didn't fight a lot with them. It was perfect because they were about the same ages as you and there weren't any other little kids around to play with.

One of my most vivid memories, is of being in the front of our home, and realizing that you and Brad were very, very quiet. That's always a sign of something not good. So, I hurried back to find you both. There you both were - standing by the toilet. You were on the side with the handle. I looked into the toilet just in time to see two little green things swirling around and around. You and Brad had just flushed my contact lenses down the toilet. (I'm sure that I got upset, but if it happened now, it would just be a fun thing to write about on a blog! So, sorry for getting angry....those things don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.)

Skip ahead a few years to your high school graduation night. It was just before we had to leave, and I walked by your bathroom, and was startled to see you because you had just dyed your hair black or really dark brown. It was so funny that you did that right before graduation. Did anyone notice with your cap on?

You always had great friends...which I appreciate.

You are a wonderful son, father, husband, friend. Happy, happy day! You have made our days happy indeed. Love, Mom

1 comment:

Mrs. Olsen said...

Aaah, the lovely Hackworth family with their constant changing of names. Comes home from the hospital to Randi Sue, and plays as a toddler with Jenni.

As a fan of "The Office" now, and Michael Scott in all his glory, wouldn't it have been fun for Justin to be "Michael Scott"?

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!