10.05.2009

The Habit

I don't know when I started it.

It certainly wasn't when I was living at home because my mother was always after me to "Loni, make your bed!"

It wasn't in college because my roommates; Sharon, Nancy, and Lauralee, claimed the only time I made it was for white glove cleaning check.

It wasn't when we were first married because I had an early morning class; Allen was still in bed, so I couldn't make it (at least, that was my excuse.)

It wasn't when we first had small children because I would drag myself out of bed to feed a crying baby or small toddler. And, I was so busy, that I just never got back to the bedroom during the day to make the bed.

It wasn't when we had a water bed because that thing was impossible to make.

So, it must have been when we remodeled the bedroom, got new carpet, new bed, new bedding.

I've made our bed a lot of mornings since then.

It's just a habit that I have done over many years.

But, the other morning it was going to be one of THOSE DAYS....filled with so many things to get done. So, as I was headed to brush my teeth, early that morning, I said to myself, "I'm not going to make my bed today. No one even comes back here. It doesn't really matter."

I stood at the mirror brushing my teeth and could see the unmade bed through the mirror. And, it just felt odd to leave it unmade. So, I walked back in the bedroom, spent one or two minutes and made the bed.

It's just a habit and it didn't feel right not to do it.

I started faithfully reading my scriptures on a daily basis several years ago.

It's just a habit and it doesn't feel right not to do it.

1 comment:

jeremy said...

I agree about habits. I have a habit not to make the bed, so the other day when I made it, it didn't feel right, so i climbed back in - sleep a bit, then got right up and did some pushups without making the bed. It felt just great and normal after that.

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!