4.11.2010

From the Past: Dad and the Cigarettes


"Dad," I said when I was a junior or senior in high school. "Lots of the kids at school are trying out smoking. So, I'm just telling you this, but, I will probably buy a pack and try it just to see what it's like. I'm not leaving the church or anything, and I'll still have my testimony, but I just want to try it to see what it's like"

I expected protests, which I was ready to counter.

"Loni," he said without emotion, anger or pleadings to not do it, "I've never smoked either. So, instead of sneaking around to get a pack, when you are ready, just come to me, and I'll go buy them, and we'll try it together."

I was STUNNED! SHOCKED! Surprised at the unusual suggestion...his answer was so totally UNexpected, so....

I turned around, walked away, and never tried a cigarette.

Because how could I be the cause of my dad smoking his only cigarette?!?!?!?

Tomorrow is this great man's birthday...he died in 2006.

My dad is one of the best persons I have ever personally known. He was good, generous, humble, full of integrity in every way.

Oh, he was a great man. He was (in no particular order):

a scholar
a soloist (he sang at many, many funerals, patriotic events, etc.)
an orator (he was possibly the best speaker I've ever heard, just amazing speaker..he would tell a story and there would not be a sound in the congregation)
a lawyer
a judge
a pilot
a father of 4
a school board member for 11 years including national school board association
a high councilman
a stake president
a lover of the scriptures
a leader in the community, church, home, family
a caring, concerned father and husband
a lover of music
a world traveler-he had been all over the globe, but, oh, how he loved Yellowstone Park
a man who absolutely loved going on an adventure!

Dad, I think of you more often than you can imagine.

On this day before your birthday, I honor you and the great man you were! I consider it one my greatest blessings to have been raised with you and mom as parents.

4 comments:

Lauralee said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad. He was indeed an incredible person! Yours parents certainly left an amazing legacy for their children and grandchildren to admire. How wonderful to have such great memories to pass down to their posterity.

Ms. Fish said...

If I have heard that story about the cigs, I had forgotten it. What a SMART man your dad was.

I love, love this photo!!

You are a great writer. You know how to strip away the fluff and just tell the good stuff!! In a fun and interesting way.

Thanks for a beautiful, well deserved tribute.

Tiffany said...

This is such a wonderful tribute. Thanks for sharing!

Gardner said...

What a great story about Grandpa! I hope I can come up with anything that clever when my kids hit their teen years. A great tribute to a wonderful man. Thanks for sharing!

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!