1.27.2014

In Defense of Unhealthy Food

My father - one of the very best of men - lived to be 90.

His entire life he had a zest for living and life.

I remember taking him to Yellowstone Park when he was quite elderly.  At every single turn-out, he wanted to stop, look, and if there was a hike associated with the turn-out, he wanted to go on it.  One time the hike was rather strenuous and he could hardly make it back to the car.  But at the very next turn-out point, he wanted to go again!  His undying spirit of adventure is a great inspiration to me....(I like to stay home!)

But, my father was also an extremely picky eater.  I didn't realize this growing up.

My mother pointed that fact out to me later in my life and in his life.

He didn't like vegetables; I can't really ever remember seeing a green salad on his plate; jello salad, yes; greens, no.

He was not too fond of casseroles, but....

he liked turkey, ham, roast beef, mashed potatoes, root beer, ice cream, cookies, cake and pie.

My father enjoying a dessert with friends while courting my dear wonderful mother.

I am my father's daughter in terms of what I like (I rarely eat ice cream or root beer however).

I will, unlike my father, eat a green salad - and a couple of times a week for breakfast, I fix a green smoothie loaded with veggies.  I have to say that I do make a small effort to eat somewhat healthy.

BUT, here's my point.

My father lived to be 90 having maybe green salad once or twice A YEAR - if that.  Having hardly ANY fresh vegetables; occasionally - a banana perhaps, or an apple.  He ate great quantities of my mother's home-canned peaches, but they are hardly the paragons of healthy food as they were loaded with sugar!

So, doesn't this prove my ever-recurring theme; can anyone REALLY PROVE that the lack of healthy food is what leads to death?

Doesn't genetics play a HUGE part in the grand scheme of things?

Now, I know that a person might say well, look at 3rd world countries and of course, the people there do literally starve to death for want of food.  But, they have so little of anything; it's not really the same issue.

My father did eat; just not very healthy.  So, he had nutrients swirling around his body; just not the kind that nutritionists would say were healthy for him.

Here's where all this is leading, folks; last week, I went without sweets/treats/ for several days.  I was miserable.  I just wanted a little sweet at the end of a long full day of tending grandkids; as a reward you might say.  But, I was on a sugar fast; it was NOT FUN.  So, today, I decided to go back to my usual way of eating; sugar in the morning, sugar in the evening, sugar at suppertime!

And, I don't think it's going to KILL ME!

(ADDENDUM: after I wrote this, I went for a long walk; I do try to exercise frequently.  While walking I thought of this: my father, mother, and I have exceedingly LOW blood pressure.  (Once, in fact, a nurse could not even find my pulse and she asked me somewhat jokingly, but also in frustration; "are you even ALIVE?")  Low blood pressure for us translates into having very LOW energy levels.  My father took a power nap even while working full time at his law practice; he came home and napped during his lunch break.

So, back to food and goodies; about a year ago friend mentioned about that she had totally cut out sugar.  And, she noticed a huge increase in her energy levels.  So, I should consider that when defending unhealthy food; I could perhaps increase my energy level.

There is that factor to think about for sure.)




No comments:

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!