1.14.2014

On My High Horse

I can’t figure out the movie rating system…at all.

Saving Mr. Banks is rated PG-13.  It’s an outstanding movie, and I just read a reviewer who expressed my feelings exactly:  
A note on the PG-13 rating: It’s ludicrous. This is the most G-rated film I’ve seen all year. There’s no sex, no violence, no swearing, no nudity, no drugs. The MPAA says it is rated PG-13 for “thematic elements including some unsettling images.”
God forbid a movie have “thematic elements.” As for the “unsettling images,” I assume they are referring to a few brief moments in Australia when Helen’s sick father is shown spitting up blood. Hardly worthy of a PG-13 . (From Cleveland.com)

While I have not seen the entire movie, Anchorman, I have seen a few snatches of it and know that it is filled with sex, bad language, innuendo, crudeness, etc.  How can those two movies even remotely have the same rating?  It makes no sense to me.  

A few years ago a friend decided, after seeing a very raunchy PG-13 movie, that she would no longer go to anything PG-13.  So, that eliminates a movie like Saving Mr. Banks, which should not be rated PG13!  

Do movie makers think they will get MORE people coming if they rate it a PG13?  And, it just makes me wonder who comes up with these arbitrary RULES and ridiculous ratings?  

Why do the ratings HAVE ABSOLUTELY no meaning whatsoever?!?!??!?!??!  

Okay, that’s over now.  I’ll get back to watching the nightly news, which should be rated NETD (Not ever; too depressing!)

No comments:

Grandkids...How I LOVE Them!

 Lola Halsey - one year old birthday!