3.10.2014

Forgiveness

One day in Relief Society, R just happened to make an interesting statement to no one in particular; she said, "I can NEVER forgive my brother-in-law."

I do not know the back story, but I think it was in reference to the fact that her husband was no longer active in the church.

Another lady in our ward made a similar statement about her mother...again, I do not know the particulars.

But, I DO know that forgiveness is a challenge.

I found it hard to forgive a person for many years.  BUT, I wanted to, I prayed for it, and it did happen...it was like a tiny miracle.

I currently struggle with forgiving a person in my life right now, but because forgiveness has happened before, I know that I will be able to forgive this person....over time.

This post, however, is about someone who won't forgive MOI...and it is so hard for me.

A few months ago, I made a comment, totally innocently, to a person.  It was not mean, it was unintentional and it was just a stupid mistake on my part..in fact, I didn't even realize the person was offended until a little later in the day.

Since that day, the person will not speak to me; won't interact with me; has withdrawn friendship.

I feel devastated.  It was a STUPID error on my part.  It was something that people do in conversations and it was something trivial - in my opinion.  I asked T for forgiveness, there was no reply, just stoicism and a blank stare.  And, a loss of friendship.

Brigham Young once said:

“He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."

I meant no offense; I have apologized - in fact, RAH also apologized.

Maybe, over time, T will realize that I meant no harm, it was just something in conversation, and maybe T will eventually forgive me.

That is my HOPE.




No comments:

Grandkids...How I LOVE Them!

 Lola Halsey - one year old birthday!