3.05.2014

Miss Ziebarth and LENT

LENT - 

period before Easter in Christian calendar: the period of 40 weekdays before Easter observed in some Christian churches as a period of prayer, penance, fasting, and self-denial.

Her name was Miss Zeibarth.

And, she was my English teacher for 7th and 8th grades.

She was OLD.  I do mean OLD....probably in her 50's!  Ha!

I'm sure she had had the same lesson plans for nigh unto one hundred years, but that's okay because that's not really what this story is about.

It's about her religion, her commitment to LENT, and her love of popcorn.  And, basically, I've said the entire post all in that one sentence.

Every year, Miss Zeibarth, a very staunch Catholic, would give up popcorn for the 40 days of Lent.  Miss Zeibarth loved popcorn.  So to give it up for 40 days, was, I'm sure, a sacrifice for her, which is really what Lent is all about.

On the Monday following Easter Sunday, which is the end of Lent, Miss Zeibarth would assign us seat work, then she would walk to the back of the room, where her closet was; she would open the door, sort of wedge herself inside - hidden as much as possible from the class - and since I was towards the back of the classroom, I saw the HUGE bag of popcorn.  And, she would nibble a bit.

AH, deprived for 40 days, she now could enjoy and feast on her beloved popcorn.

Since that time many years ago; on occasion, I will give something up for Lent.  Not because our religion requires it, but because I see it as being a good thing....to make a sacrifice of something truly pleasurable.  I think of Miss Zeibarth and the joy she must have felt in being strong and then enjoying the treat.  I admire and like that.  (We fast each month for 24 hours, and that is a challenge, but we don't give something up for 40 days!)

So, should I give something up this year?

What would it be?

Chocolate comes to mind.  I love chocolate.

I also love popcorn, potato chips and flavored water; it could be one of those........

But, to me, it's about the commitment; the strength of will; the giving up of something for a higher purpose.

And, when I think of making that sacrifice, I always think of Miss Zeibarth and the popcorn.


No comments:

Birthday Week with the GIRLS! IN Other Words; FUN TIMES in Santa Fe, New Mexico!

  Not in the right order, but whatever the order, it was SO FUN!  Just a great time.