12.11.2009

A Look at Favorite Christmas/Holiday Books




Okay, so I've read them lots of times before.

In fact, every Christmas.


They still make me laugh, bring a tear to my eye, and remind me of what the season is really all about.


As a middle school librarian, I loved reading picture books to the fifth graders each day.

They would run in, sit in the kiva, and I'd read a book before they went to look for their own books to read.


One of my all-time favorite picture books to read to the fifth graders during the Christmas/Hanukkah season is this delightful book. In our small Idaho town, there was only one family that I knew of who celebrated Hanukkah, but I wanted to expose the students to other cultures, religions, so it was fun to tell the students about Hanukkah, what it meant, and how important it was to the Jewish people, just as Christmas is important to the Christian.

I hadn't actually thought about this book for a long time, but my daughter is friends with a person who celebrates Hanukkah, so I was reminded of this delightful book.




(Kristi, it's coming soon in the mail to a mailbox near you.)

3 comments:

kelli said...

I will have to check that out. The other day I went to the book store looking for The Best Christmas Pageant ever, and they didn't have it!

Lauralee said...

Thanks for the great tip. I have reserved "Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins" at the library. Have read the others a couple of times. Very seasonal fun.

KRose said...

awesome! i can't wait to read it.

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!