11.07.2012

Four Years Ago....

on this very day...the day after the Presidential Election - 2008,

RAH and I were in Alexandria, Virginia on a home exchange.

We were sitting in the family room watching the evening news from Washington, DC.  The news reporters were showing the reactions of people in the Nation's Capital after hearing the news of Barack Obama winning the election.

People were ecstatic!  America had elected its first Black President; it was an historic moment and we were right there where it was all happening; oh, it was exciting.

As the new reporters showed the enthusiasm and excitement of the throngs of people in the streets of DC, they began to interview many of the people in the streets.

I'll never forget one young Black lady who said:

"This is the happiest day of my life...a Black President!  I'll never have to work another day in my life!"

I sat there stunned....was that what she really thought it meant to elect a Black President?

Sadly, that statement was a foreshadowing of things to come and of attitudes that permeate our country...it is not just Blacks, however.  I do not mean to imply that.  But, the attitude of, "I don't have to work.  The government will now take care of me."

It's frightening...
It's scary....
It's not the America I know and love.

May God Bless America!


No comments:

Grandkids...How I LOVE Them!

 Lola Halsey - one year old birthday!