1.20.2010

Humbled - again!

NOTE: this is a very difficult post as it shows the real MOI! And, I don't like what I saw in me last night.

But, this is my journal, so I need to attempt to be honest. Here goes:

Monthly meeting of the organization. Interesting people, fun music, stories, historical tidbits.

BUT...blah food that seems rather pricey for what we get.

We were at the very back corner table, so I could see the server bringing out the plates of food...good gracious, what is THAT on those plates, I wondered?!??! (Usually it is ham/turkey/roastbeef w/ mashed potatoes, and green beans.)

Then the plate was put before me; baked beans (probably Bush's from the can), barbecued chicken (probably bottled barbecue sauce), 4 little baby carrots steamed for about 60 seconds.

Goodness, I thought, didn't they learn in home ec that you need a rainbow of colors (the entire plate was bathed in orange/browns)? It didn't have a very appetizing appearance, frankly. So, I was mumbling to myself....blah, blah, blah.

Then, as I put the first bite of food into my morth, the images of the Haitian people popped into my head...

starving children too weak to cry
fathers looting to give their children something - anything - to eat.
hands straining through a gate to plead for water from the military
children with big, beautiful brown eyes with parched lips
people drinking water that was filthy, but water nonetheless.

And, I was ashamed and embarrassed.

I felt like one of the many politicians who promise to make a difference, change the way things are done, and then lead lavish lifestyles, with no care or concern for the people.

Oh, I was shamed. I ate the food, grateful to have it. Grateful to live in America. Grateful that people will give up their lives to go help. Grateful for FOOD.

3 comments:

Nat said...

I have moments exactly like you just described. We all do. But you are one of the most humble and giving people I know. Perspective is one of those things that we have to get in touch with every single day or we lose sight of why we were put on this earth and what we are here to do. You my friend, HAVE perspective and a HUGE giving heart. You have made me very thankful for the ham fried rice we are going to eat tonight. (Although, I tried to add a whole lot of veggies for some color to add to the presentation :)

Mrs. Olsen said...

You're cute. I think it's reasonable to expect a rainbow of food at a nice restaurant JUST AS MUCH as we can expect a donation to the Red Cross to make a difference (especially right now).

As a former business owner, I say it doesn't hurt to give some feedback, especially if the carrots are still raw. And sweet Loni would have that epiphany whether or not she was getting ripped off at a restaurant OR getting some overly charred tinfoil dinner that RAH pulled out of the campfire. Great perspective but don't let that establishment off the hook!

Lauralee said...

When my boys would complain about mediocre food served at a restaurant, I would simply say "It's one meal in a lifetime, eat it or not, but be grateful." We should all remember that. Such a thoughtful post. Thanks.

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!