2.22.2010

The Clean Plan

About ten years ago, Tammy told me about her home cleaning system which meant her home was always clean, in spite of having five children. (NOTE: one child and her husband had OCD, so maybe that helps a little too.)

Each day after school, her 4 oldest children would pull one card from the day's chore file box. Then, before they did homework, played, practiced, etc., the child did the chore for that day. Next day, each child pulled out a card, did the chore, put the card back into the recipe file box. The chores included everything to keep a home clean: vacuuming, cleaning fridge, toilets, sweeping, etc. The children did chores 6 days a week; no complaining, and she had taught them how to do each chore, and how to be thorough.

She told me, not in a bragging way, but just matter-of-fact. "You can come to my home anytime, and it will be clean."

So, I quasi-adopted her plan. Since I didn't have any kids at home, I was the one doing the chores, but what her system had taught me was to do SOMETHING each day which I did for a long time; it was great.

I really liked it. But, I got lax, lazy, lethargic, lackadaisical, and the system went bye-bye.

Now, I'm going to try again because it is a great system.

Here's how mine works:
Monday - master bedroom, bath, closet. In addition to vacuuming, dusting, etc., I go through one dresser a week.
Tuesday - kitchen, which incudes cleaning fridge shelves, one cupboard or drawer a week; laundry room, again going through cupboards on a weekly basis; and half bath.
Wednesday - living room and office, which really needs a major overhaul right now. Oh, how did the shelves get to be in such disarray?
Thursday - guest bedrooms, guest bathroom; again going through drawers, closets, etc. to get rid of "stuff."
Friday - cards, letters, correspondence, shopping, etc.
Saturday - garage (my side)

My goal is to give to DI/throw away some item each week from each cleaning area.

After typing this, I'm really chuckling to myself...like I'm really going to do this! Let's hear it for D*R*E*A*M*I*N*G!

Funny, too, because I have done it before, so why do I KNOW that I won't do it again....here goes a try, at least.

3 comments:

kelli said...

Wow! i might have to borrow the card idea for my kids! I really liked the cart post too. It made me laugh. Let me know if you ever reach that goal!

Lauralee said...

OK, once you have the cleaning system mastered, I know a woman in Olympia, Washington who could use your services!

KRose said...

this looks like waaaay tooo much work. I've just learned to tolerate messes more :)....hahahaha

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!