2.19.2010

Conversations I Wish I'd Had With My Mother

1. I wish that I had told her thank you for all the family history work she has done. I'm going through a box of file folders, and I realize that she had done SO MUCH work. She had no computer; it's all hand written on those big genealogy charts. Scattered throughout all these papers are little notes she has made that have been so incredibly helpful.


2. I wish I had asked her about each piece of beautiful collectibles she picked up while living in Europe. I know - in general - about the items, as a whole. But, why didn't I ask her about each individual tea set, beautiful china dinnerware, cut glass wine decanter and 6 glasses, on and on. I should have asked where each piece came from, how she was able to get it; its history, its country, etc.


3. I wish I had shown more of an interest in her yoga, painting, trips, missions, flights with my dad. She had an incredible life, and I was so busy raising five children that I didn't engage her as much as I should have.


4. I wish I had told her how much I admire her love of family. She was proud of her family and loved her parents and siblings very much. She was always positive about her family and their achievements/accomplishments. And, she always tried hard to stay connected with her family; both close and distantly related.


5. I would - very humbly- have to admit; you were right about so many things!

Mom, I love you. Thank you for being such a marvelous, good person! I feel blessed every day for being raised in your loving, nurturing home.

Six years after your death, I miss you every day.

1 comment:

Lauralee said...

Indeed I knew your Mother was an amazing woman from the few times I met her. And you just told her how you feel/felt. She hears and understands. I know that is true! A beautiful post. We could all take a lesson from it.

Grandkids...How I LOVE Them!

 Lola Halsey - one year old birthday!