10.13.2013

A Loaf of Bread

Fall 2002:

first day of school for lots of people, but not for MOI.  I was now retired.

Midmorning;

Doorbell rings.

And, there is Linda Ricks with a fresh loaf of bread...whole-wheat bread!

It startled me when I took it; it was so LIGHT....normally whole wheat bread is heavy.

And, the color was also lighter than most wheat breads.

"Did you make it?" I asked already knowing the answer.

Of course she had...

 I wanted to know how; the recipe; the secret to such light bread.

(NOTE: two secrets are: white wheat and using gluten flour so it doesn't crumble.)

So, on a crisp fall morning, I went to Linda's clean, orderly home and she showed me how to make the most incredible bread.

Since that time many years ago, I have made literally hundreds of loaves of whole-wheat bread.  I have given away dozens and dozens of loaves of bread to:

newlyweds,
oldlyweds,
new neighbors,
old neighbors,
new mothers,
old mothers,
relatives,
(I even tried to mail Kristi D a loaf, it was totally moldy by the time she received it!)

There is absolutely NOTHING like the smell of hot bread coming out of the oven..

I have tried a variety of recipes, but I always come back to Linda's...it's so delicious!

My wheat grinder and bread mixer have certainly paid for themselves many times over.

And, it all started with one loaf of bread ....thank you, dear Linda Ricks!

1 comment:

Lauralee said...

YOUR bread looks absolutely beautiful!

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!