10.04.2013

Free Thinker

My best friend didn't like Scott.  So, that meant I didn't like Scott.

I didn't even know Scott .  I had no interactions with him.

But, he lived in the same neighborhood as my friend and so I heard stories about him.  Scott didn't play fair, was mean to some people.   He showed favoritism when playing with lots of kids.

So, when I learned that something sort of sad happened to Scott, I felt like Scott got what he deserved....

Thinking about that scenario, I am ashamed.

Why should HOW MY FRIEND FELT impact my feelings toward someone else?

But, sadly it did, and even more sad, it still does today.  Sometimes I am influenced by the opinions of my friends and family.  What they think about someone often becomes how I think of that person.

I don't want that to be so, but it is....

I want to be a totally free thinker; to make my own judgements; mine are often much softer and kinder than those of the people who are influencing my opinions.

Knowing that I have that tendency - to allow the opinions of others to sway my own - I must just work harder to be my own free thinker.

Okay, it starts today.

I will reserve the right to make my own judgement call; my own opinions.

Ah, that feels good.

No comments:

Birthday Week with the GIRLS! IN Other Words; FUN TIMES in Santa Fe, New Mexico!

  Not in the right order, but whatever the order, it was SO FUN!  Just a great time.