10.08.2013

If the Shoe Fits...

Wal*Mart and Payless;

that's where most of my shoes came from in my adult life.  I bought them cheap or cheaper.

Until I bought a very expensive pair of Birkenstocks; I hesitated about spending the money, but I needed a comfortable pair of shoes for school, and RAH said I should give them a try.

The sole separated from the upper part; it was actually very dangerous to wear them!

I literally wore them out; they were thrashed and falling apart when I departed with them years after I had originally bought them...I really got my money's worth in that expensive pair of shoes!

But, then, I just went back to Wal*Mart and Payless Shoes, as I was no longer working.  It didn't really matter about good shoes.

However, before going to China, I told my daughter I needed some really good shoes as I would be walking a great deal.  She suggested KEENs and or TEVA.

So, I paid a hefty price for a pair of TEVAs, but I wore them almost EVERY day in China; rain (awesome because it doesn't matter if they get wet!) or shine; every weekday those shoes were on my feet as I walked the long way to class and back.  On trips, shopping, everywhere.

I wore these with my dresses to class every day.  It didn't look glamorous, but it was great because I had a very long walk to school and home each day.  They were so comfortable!

I also bought a very expensive pair of KEENs.

I have worn these so much that the shoelaces broke!  They don't have just any shoelaces either; they are a special kind.  That are not tied like ordinary shoelaces.  Allen replaced them, but they don't work right.
I wore them a little, but have worn them A LOT since coming home; I use them like gym shoes and wear them to walk in, to go to the gym, etc.

So, it's true, I have paid money for a few pair of shoes; but it has not been my pattern...truly.

In the summer of 2012, my visiting teacher was wearing the most adorable pair of red flats; when I commented on them, she said quoting her sister, "Everybody should have a pair of RED shoes."

Well, I had never really thought about having a pair of red shoes; I wore a pair of black Mary Janes to church every week, and my other 2 pair (Teva and Keen) were also black.

But, RED?!?!?

After she said that, I went on the hunt for a pair of red shoes - hadn't she said, EVERYONE should have a pair of red shoes?  No luck, anywhere (well, actually I did buy an adorable pair of red shoes at Dillards on a very good sale, but I gave them away; they were so painful to wear!)

The only pair I could find were a pair of PINK Tevas, which I got at a very good price at Shoe Carnival....(more than Wal*Mart or Payless shoes, to be sure, but better than my first pair of TEVAs.)

I wore them all summer, everywhere, including church.....which I would never have done in Rexburg.  But, hey, this is St George; it's hot here.  

I liked the shoes and they were fine.

But summer 2013 rolled around and I was still on the hunt for RED shoes.  Again, nothing; but the lady at Shoe Carnival suggested I look at Christensens; was she crazy?  Just to walk in the door is expensive, but I went looking.  I found an amazing pair of CLARK sandals, but my goodness, they were out of sight pricey.  But, man, were they comfortable.  

So, I came home, went online and found them at Amazon for half price!


I have literally worn them nearly every day this summer; they are just comfy, comfy, comfy.  Oh, I like my Clark sandals.

But, Alas and Alack, winter is approaching; it's way too cold for me to wear open toed shoes.  

And, since I had a pair of black Sunday shoes, and since I liked the red sandals, I wanted red again and I also wanted CLARKs....

EWW, bad bad bad.

Because now the prices were even more expensive - AND there were no bargains to be had online.

SO, let me just conclude by saying, I REALLY spent a lot of money on my new shoes.  They should arrive in about a week.  (the local store didn't have them in red!)

Here's what I'm hoping:

That they fit, feel good, and most of all, that I wear them out till they are threadbare!

I'll keep you posted.








1 comment:

Jenni said...

I would rather have one pair of expensive, high quality, comfy shoes than 20 pairs of cheapies. It's worth it!! I hope you think so after wearing them. Hope you LOVE them!!

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!