12.07.2013

Striving for Perfection

Late last night, just before I slipped into the realms of never-land and dream-land,

RAH asked this intriguing question:

"Are you  ever dissatisfied with something you've done and wish it could be BETTER?"

"Ha! Everything I ever do, I feel that way...every project, everything I cook, every time I clean, the list goes on and on!

"How about you?" I asked him.

But, I already knew the answer.  He was always striving for - yes, that wretched word -

PERFECTION...

in his music, his gardening, his fishing, his jewelry making, his writing.

"Perhaps," he said, "It's because we are the offspring of God.  Maybe that's where this drive for wanting it better, wanting it perfect, wanting it just exactly RIGHT...maybe that is where this yearning comes from.  Being a son or daughter of God just naturally makes us want things to be done better...."

Too deep and too philosophical for me late at night.

But, then again....it's true, I do want it all to be better...

my mothering skills, my wife-skills, my family history skills, my computer skills, my writing, my housekeeping, my cooking, my organizing, my neighborliness, my nursery persona, on and on.

Yes, I do wish I were better at it all.

But, therein lies the rub....will I really TRY to work harder at any of them?

Or will I be content to just be the way I am?!?!?!??!

No comments:

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!