6.17.2013

Happy Father's Day to a Dear Father


When I was a junior in high school, I told my dad that lots of kids were trying out smoking. 

 I just wanted to try it to see what it was like, I told my dad. I quickly added that I was not going to lose my testimony and that I was not planning to leave the church. I just wanted to just test it out like a few of my friends. (Now, mind you when I was a teen, doctors were advocating smoking, ads were touting how glamorous it all was, etc. Smoking didn't have the bad rap it deserves!) 

 My dad didn't get upset, didn't beg me not to do it, just quietly said, "Loni, I've never smoked in my life either. I don't want to. But, you don't have to sneak to do it. When you are ready, come tell me and I'll go buy them for you and we'll smoke our first cigarette together." 

 I was stunned by his reaction! 

And, I also KNEW that I could never smoke and be the cause of my dear father's smoking his first cigarette. Oh, he was a wise one, that dear dad of mine. 

 He was my hero growing up and I still miss him. I realize what a great blessing the Plan of Salvation is. 


Dad, thanks for being such a great example of the Priesthood, living the Gospel, and treating my mother like the queen she was!

No comments:

Birthday Week with the GIRLS! IN Other Words; FUN TIMES in Santa Fe, New Mexico!

  Not in the right order, but whatever the order, it was SO FUN!  Just a great time.