6.07.2013

Money Talks

I love to visit B & B.

They are unlike any people I have ever encountered before.

They were heavy smokers until two years ago when his doctor refused to operate on his back until he quit smoking....so he and his wife quit cold turkey.

They drink vodka every night and probably start drinking around 4 or 5...not sure when exactly, except that when I go there in the late afternoon, the bottles are on the counter.

For fun, they drive to Mesquite about three or four times a week to gamble.

When they moved next door, they had 4 dogs; now they are down to 2 and it is very hard on them both; they love their dogs.  She gets emotional talking about them.

B & B worked for the Disney corporation and the movie industry.  Their pensions are fantastic.

They have a great deal of money.  Now, how would I know that?!?!?  Because occasionally they tell me bits and pieces of their financial situations.

They have a good income, have a lot in savings and in stocks and bonds.  Today, B said to me, "If you knew how much money we have stashed, you would be shocked!"  He then told me how much they have in the stock market and that they had made $8000 today.  (As a point of reference, I probably made $8.00 today!)

(They both make me laugh because B said she isn't going to buy anything more.  She has a closet FILLED with clothes, many of them still in plastic with the tags on them. )

So, I said, "You need to start spending some of your money....now, let's see, what can you buy?"

"What do I need?" B asked......

"Well, let's see...." I couldn't think of anything.  They have a new huge big screen TV; they drive a nice car, live in a nice home, have a maid once a week, a dog groomer once a month, lawn service.  They are very generous with their children and grandchildren from his previous marriage.  She told me today that from their first paychecks, they have been savers and that is very obvious.

Anyway, it's always interesting to get to talk to B & B, especially when they tell me about their money...makes me smile.

And, I say, good for them.



No comments:

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!