6.20.2013

Selfish!

It's hard to be selfish as a mother.  

Of course, there are selfish mothers out there.  

But, for the most part, mothers just give, give, give.  

There is not a lot of time during the day for them.  Kids get up very early even when they have played late into the night.  They need meals on a very regular basis, clean clothes, homework help, dance lessons, music lessons, car pooling, and a myriad of other time-consuming activities.

Oh, yes, it is hard to be a selfish mother.

So, when a person (MOI) has had several years of  being an empty nester; it's interesting to get back in the mode of MOM, as I have done this past week and for a few more days still.

No more leisure morning breakfasts over the newspaper.

No more curl up on the couch to watch a tv show.

No more time out to read a good book.

No more saying, "I'll just run in to town to do some....."

Not even time to do some house cleaning.

It's CHILD time all day long; from early morning hours til late.  It's reading, bubble blowing, meal fixing, sidewalk chalking, lessons in swimming, park playing, water playing, playing some more.  And, with BOYS, it's lots of active playing.

So, this morning, in a moment of quiet reflection (very brief indeed), I was so very grateful for the MOTHERS of my grandchildren.  It is NOT easy; it is an ALWAYS job - none of this 9 to 5 stuff. 

Truth be told, it is totally exhausting.

I'm tired.

But, I will turn them over to their parents on Sunday.  I will get back to my routine of MOI, MOI, MOI.

I will have my normal routine that focuses much on MOI.

And, I will be so very grateful for the UNSELFISH MOTHERS who are everyday, unsung heroes.






1 comment:

Ms. Fish said...

I agree. So well written! But I do beg to differ on one thing. Your daily routine is not MOI, MOI, MOI. You are constantly thinking, doing, giving for others.

I love, love this picture!!

OH, Those Wonderful Grandkids....

 How I LOVE THEM!